JASON EVANS' 100-WORD REVIEWS: Nomadland

 Impressive craft, but not much of a story


In Richard II, William Shakespeare wrote, “I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.” The last thing film critic Jason Evans wants you to do is to waste time. So, he is embarking on an effort to write movie reviews in exactly 100 words… not 99, not 101. Here is his 100-word review of Nomadland

The Premise: When working class Fern (Frances McDormand) loses her job at the local factory, she sells all her belongings and hits the road. She soon runs into other people who are living a life on the road as nomads, going from town to town looking for work and not being tethered to the things that the rest of us think are so important.

The 100 Words: I have a deep appreciation of the artistic craft on display in this film. It is well made and features some of the most genuine acting will see on film this year. But, I also appreciate an evocative story. There’s a reason my description of “the premise” is so brief… frankly, not much happens in this movie. I am glad I got to learn a little bit about the nomad lifestyle, but there are few moments from the movie that really stick with me. Many other critics are giving this film awards, but “award-worthy” and “enjoyable” don’t always go hand-in-hand.

Reach out to Jason Evans on Twitter @JasonDukeEvans

Comments