REVIEW: Trolls

Courtesy of Dreamworks
This kid-friendly comedy has been out for a few weeks now, grossing nearly $120 million, so I’m clearly late to the party. Still, I’m glad I caught this delightful animated spectacle on the big screen while I was on a quick pre-Thanksgiving vacation with my family. We walked past a theater in Panama City Beach right as it started, so I’m chalking it up to serendipity.

Because it’s based on the crazy-haired troll phenomenon of the 1960s and 1970s (and the 1990s resurgence), jaded critics might consider it yet another cash-in by DreamWorks Animation, but there’s a strong sense of humor running through this one (thanks to a screenplay from Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger). It’s also got an absolutely killer soundtrack – no surprise, considering it was executive produced by co-star Justin Timberlake.

Those reasons, along with the visually pleasing aesthetic, make this one worth seeing while it’s still in theaters. (Granted, it’s got some stiff competition since Moana and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them will be playing down the hall.)

The story is simple enough: the perpetually optimistic and cheerful trolls are considered a delicacy for the grumpy bergens, who believe that eating the crazy-haired creatures is the only way they can experience true happiness. After 20 years in hiding, Princess Poppy (Anna Kendrick) throws an ill-advised party that leads to her friends being captured by the bergens’ evil Chef (Christine Baranski), who plans to feed them to King Gristle (Christopher Mintz-Plasse) in an effort to ingratiate herself to the new ruler.

With nowhere else to turn, Poppy asks the grouchy troll Branch (Timberlake) for help on her journey. After an extended “I told you so” sequence, Branch reluctantly agrees to accompany her on her almost certainly doomed journey. However, the duo finds an unlikely partner in Bridget (Zooey Deschanel), a bergen maid who harbors a secret crush on the king. With her help, the trolls might just rescue their friends and find a way to bring happiness to the species that considers them a delicacy.

Trolls probably won’t take home this year’s Oscar for Best Animated Feature (I’m venturing an early guess that one’s going to Moana) but it’s an absolutely delightful way to spend 92 minutes. Full disclosure – I bought tickets to this one assuming I’d just purchased an expensive nap, but I found myself smiling the entire time and laughing louder than my six-year-old daughter, who also loved it.

I’m not going to lie: Kendrick and Timberlake’s rendition of Cyndi Lauper’s “True Colors” might’ve caused me to brush away a tear or two. I’ve always had a soft spot for that song, and their voices blended wonderfully on it at just the right time in the story. In fact, the strength of the entire soundtrack had me rushing to order it on Amazon almost as soon as we got back to our condo that evening.

Something tells me that DreamWorks, never one to shy away from pumping out sequels, might’ve found its new cash cow. If box office success is any indication, we’ll be buying tickets to new “Trolls” movies every few years for the foreseeable future.

Trolls is rated PG for some mild rude humor.

Grade: B

Comments