JASON EVANS' TOP TEN FILMS in ten words each



As I sat down to do my top ten list for the year, I was faced with a dilemma. All year I have been preaching the idea that less in more… 100-word reviews that tell you all you need to know and don’t pontificate endlessly about the stuff you don’t. Of course I could not abandon that, but how would a top ten list fit into this 100-word dictum? 
So, I decided to list my top ten and write exactly ten words about each one of them. With that, welcome to my very brief thoughts on the best of the best in 2019 cinema.

     1. Knives Out – A twisty and funny mystery with an incredibly talented cast 

     2. 1917 – A visual marvel, one of the best war films ever

     3. Parasite – Thrilling and thought provoking look at the rich/poor divide 

     4. Avengers: Endgame – This is how you satisfy fans while telling a story

     5. Ford v. Ferrari – Gorgeous camerawork, two magnetic leads, and a truly gripping tale 

     6. Little Women – The delightful cast makes this period piece with a message

     7. The Irishman – Maybe a touch too long, but a great gangster flick

     8. Toy Story 4 – I’m stunned they keep on finding such perfect emotional stories

     9. Joker – Phoenix’s acting tour-de-force also has a relevant message for today

     10. Downton Abbey – Julian Fellows gives these beloved characters a clever, emotional farewell


And, while I am here, I might as well convey a few other awards (in ten words each, of course).

Best Director: Sam Mendes, 1917 – I can’t imagine the preparation that went into each shot.


Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Joker – A terrifying performance that make us also pity a killer.


Best Actress: Rene Zellweger, Judy – If her acting does not move you, her singing will.


Best Screenplay: Rian Johnson, Knives Out – Keeps you guessing and keeps you laughing, that’s not easy!


I hope 2020 is as good as 2019 was! Feel free to let me know what you think of this list by reaching out to me on Twitter @JasonDukeEvans



Comments