REVIEW: American Reunion

Courtesy of Universal
I’m warning you up front that I watched American Reunion, the fourth installment in the American Pie franchise (not counting those crummy direct-to-DVD entries), through a heavy fog of nostalgia. Keep that in mind when you see the (probably too-kind) grade at the bottom. I know I’m not supposed to say this as a film critic, but it’s almost impossible for me to watch these flicks objectively.

Each installment has been a much raunchier version of my own life, and the major milestones I’ve experienced have matched these characters pretty much step-for-step. American Pie hit theaters about six weeks after I graduated high school, and the characters were the class of 1999, just like me.

American Pie 2 came out in 2001, about halfway through my college experience, and the characters were dealing with a lot of problems that seemed familiar to me – the difficulty of keeping in touch with friends, realizing relationships don’t always last forever, growing up sucks sometimes, etc. 2003 brought American Wedding, which found main character Jim Levenstein (Jason Biggs) marrying his high school sweetheart, Michelle (Alyson Hannigan). It wasn’t as relatable to me at the time, but the same thing happened to me a few years later and suddenly it made more sense.
 
That means, at least for me, that American Reunion was much more of an entertaining and emotional viewing experience than it had any right to be. The film reunites the entire cast, even the folks in bit parts, and plays up the past in a big way through references to previous movies and an incredibly ’90s soundtrack.

Again, events synced up perfectly for me – everyone has been out of high school for over a decade, nobody keeps in touch like they should and life, as it often does, has mellowed everyone out. Even the nasty Jim and Michelle have a kid and careers now, so their hilarious exploits are a thing of the past. There’s a realistic melancholy feel that hangs over much of the film.

Once everyone shows up for the titular reunion, there are plenty of “hey, it’s that guy!” scenes featuring actors I hadn’t thought about in years, including Chris Klein, Thomas Ian Nicholas, Eddie Kaye Thomas, Mena Suvari and Tara Reid. It’s even good to see the annoying Stifler (Seann William Scott) again, even though he’s still up to his familiar tricks.

Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg, who share directing and screenwriting duties, nail the movie’s tone, giving it just the right mix of crudeness and heart. That’s something I always appreciated about their Harold and Kumar flicks, and they put it to good use here. Even the prerequisite lengthy nude scene – involving Jim fighting off the advances of his drunken teenage neighbor (Ali Cobrin, an absolute knockout) – isn’t solely about titillation. It’s also about Jim trying to keep a naive girl from doing something stupid that would simultaneously wreck her life and ruin his marriage.

As far as performances go, let’s be honest. Nobody’s winning an Oscar for this thing. Still, Biggs and Hannigan help audiences remember what we love about this crazy couple, and Eugene Levy gets the MVP trophy for bringing a surprising amount of pathos to a character who is generally treated as a joke delivery system.

Again, take everything I say here with a grain of salt. You might see American Reunion and wonder why the heck I gave it such a good grade. But for people like me, who essentially grew up with these characters, it was nice to revisit a story (for the last time?) that I remember with fondness.

American Reunion is rated R for crude and sexual content throughout, nudity, language, brief drug use and teen drinking.
Grade: B-

Comments